Creative, innovative, senior-level art director specializing in health & fitness and home & garden magazines and books. Experienced in staff, project, and budget management. Team leader, strategic thinker, and accomplished problem-solver.
Senior Art Director, The Content Creation Studio
(a division of Reader's Digest) Pleasantville, NY / 2003 to 2010
Designed and directed fresh, dynamic, highly successful covers and interior pages of magazines and books in multiple editorial categories and sales channels for U.S. and global markets. Directed wide-ranging teams of designers, illustrators, photo-graphers, models, stylists, etc. Created and managed $500,000 in project budgets per year. In addition:
- Developed, launched, and supported new brand initiatives such as Walk It Off, No-Fail Weight Loss, Reverse Diabetes, Mind Stretchers, and Puzzles & Prizes.
- Designed bestselling books and covers such as Extraordinary Uses for Ordinary Things; 1,519 All-Natural, All-Amazing Garden Secrets; The Reader's Digest Sudoku Challenge; and What Works, What Doesn't.
- Consistently beat budgets by 10 percent or more.
Art Director, Eagle Publishing, Washington D.C. / 2002 to 2003
Oversaw design and production of multiple editorial products as well as marketing and promotional materials. Managed and directed in-house staff of four graphic designers as well as freelance artists and temps. In addition:
- Improved book jackets and directed or designed 10 New York Times bestsellers.
- Raised staff morale and slowed turnover by providing tools and training, setting high standards, fostering creativity, and nurturing talent.
- Innovated editorial production, improving quality while reducing turnaround times by 50 percent, freelance costs by 62 percent, and overtime by 78 percent.
Art Director, Rodale, Emmaus, PA / 1999 to 2001
Managed approximately 40 book titles per year in eight editorial categories, including Men's Health and Prevention brand extensions. Supervised in-house team of three graphic designers and one photo editor. Established and implemented operational and strategic plans. In addition:
- Designed and directed New York Times bestsellers 8 Minutes in the Morning and The Wrinkle Cure.
- Directed photography and design of Sound Mind, Sound Body, Rodale's first-ever full-color workout book, featuring supermodel Heidi Klum.
• additional experience
Associate Art Director/Senior Designer, Rodale, Emmaus, PA / 1997 to 1999
Designed covers and interiors of 15 to 20 trade and direct-mail health books. Led Prevention books brand-extension initiative. Designed Rodale's first-ever "bookazine," a newsstand product titled Women's Health Today. Redesigned New Foods for Healing cover, retitled The Doctor's Book of Food Remedies, boosting sales to more than one million copies.
Graphic Designer, The Orange County Register, Santa Ana, CA / 1990 to 1997
Designed and directed daily Business section front pages as well as weekly BusinessMonday magazine covers and feature spreads. Designed covers and interior pages for Preview, a weekly entertainment magazine.
Web design certification (pending) Noble Desktop, NYC. Drawing fundamentals, The Barnstone Studio, Coplay, PA. Color theory studies, University of California, Irvine. Bachelor of Science/Liberal Arts, Oregon State University.
• special skills
Proficient in Adobe Creative Suite 5.0 applications, including InCopy, as well as QuarkXpress, Microsoft Office, and MacOS. Trained to produce e-magazines using Adobe Digital Publishing Suite and to create .epub and .mobi files for e-reading devices including Ipad, Kindle, and Nook.
Web design and development by Blue Boot Design Studio. Copyright 2011